A New York woman says she is angry after her two-year-old pit bull, Jax, died while being left alone in a car in a hospital, saying he was never given food or water.
“He was just so hungry, he just had nothing,” Lori Hays told ABC News.
Hays is the owner of the car Jax was in when he died, and she was driving to her home to pick him up when the car went into a ditch.
“I got out and the car started spinning and I didn’t know what to do, so I went into the garage to put the dog in the car,” she said.
“But then the car rolled, and the dog was in the water.”
Hays said the car’s air conditioning didn’t work, and when she tried to resuscitate Jax with CPR, the dog didn’t respond.
“When I pulled him out, he was laying on the ground,” she told ABC.
“It was a horrible scene.”
The car’s owner, David Hanes, said he was shocked by the death of Jax and his family.
“There is a very deep sense of loss,” Hanes said.
He said Jax’s death came as a surprise to him, and that he doesn’t know why the dog died.
Hanes is a registered dog walker and a certified veterinary technician.
He says he has never had any complaints about Jax.
“The dogs are just like our family members,” Hays explained.
“They just want to be around us, and we try to take care of them, but they are like family to us.”
Hanes’ dog, Jale, died from a lack of food and water after the accident, Hays says.
“She’s just been a big part of my life, but it’s just really sad to see her go,” Hates said.
The New York State Department of Health says that Jax died after suffering from pneumonia and dehydration after the vehicle’s air conditioner failed.
“As soon as I heard the news, I was just in shock,” Hains told ABC affiliate WCBS 880.
Hains said she has since been diagnosed with pneumonia and is in stable condition.
“Jax was my little girl, and he just got a little bigger,” she added.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.